Sunday, February 15, 2009

FREE MODEL GLIDER PLAN! Tiny glider, 8 inch Catapult Launched Glider (CLG)

If you downloaded this plan before 28 February 2009, please discard that copy and use this version instead - some important details were either wrong or missing Sorry!

As you can see from earlier blog posts, I've been playing with Charlie Sotich's simple 8" CLG. Necessity really, after the original 1/32 thin wings - as per his plan - shredded on launch.


So here is my "re-mix" of his design. Main changes are conventional HLG style wing, three panel instead of V-dihedral, a slightly longer nose and some mods for a stronger wing fuselage joint.

Sotich named many of his designs [SOMETHING] DIP. For example, his famous 48" glider was called LIL DIP. Since this 8 incher is intended for the Tiny Gliders postal event, I called it the TINY DIP, but I don't know whether he ever made a design with that name.

I hope you enjoy the plan - drawn with a smile on my face and a bit of tongue in cheek. An easy build, lots of fun, pretty in the air and satisfying performance (right click on the plan and select Save Image As). Try a 3/16" rubber loop for the catty. You can use kevlar tow instead of CF. Fix to the model's balsa sides with CA glue. Note the washout on both tips and the washin triangular wedge on the left wing only. There is a slight incidence (decalage) in the design. I visualise it as the bottom of the fuselage being horizontal, and the top line of the fuselage a slope, taller at the front. The closer you get to 0-0, the straighter and higher the launch, but stability decreases. Too much decalage, then the climb becomes a height-sapping spiral (or worse, gets loopy).

Photo below of the TINY DIP glider (4.1g ready to fly).




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, where you refer to sanding wash out on both tips, Do you mean you sand the bottom of the wing at those locations so the it gets thinner at the trailing edge and the bend the T.E. up? As much as I've read on wash in/out I'm still confused when it refers to "sanding" it in and I was hoping you could answer that for me. Also I've zoomed in on the tiny dip picture and it must be the color of the paint that I'm not able to see the wash out. Also the triangle wash in tab that you have added i can't see that either to know where it goes and how big it needs to be. I've made I've of these so far without the w/o w/I and it's a really good flyer so I'd like to make another one as per your specs as im sure the flights would be much better. Thank you for your time.

Anonymous said...

Your description of sanding wash out is correct. Whether on not you bend the TE up at the tips, is a matter of trimming and whether you feel you need it. Yes, you're right, I have not drawn the triangular wash in tab on the side view of the plan. My error, sorry. It's triangular made from 1/32 square stock, so the corner points forwards and the opposite side is at the TE and parallel to it. The hypotenuse points downwards. I should really draw it in and repost the plan. This is a fun plane and I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

Google