Friday, September 19, 2014

Tiny Gliders: 8" HLG

Kevin Mosley designed a great 8 inch span chuck glider a few years back called LET'S ROLL. It was for the Tiny Gliders postal league. I built one -not quite to plan - and on the very first full throw it flew away, out of sight, caught in a growing thermal. Months later, a lady from a farm 3 miles away found it and called me (one should always write a mobile number on the model!) The wing and fuselage was still fine, so I rebuilt the tail feathers. Here, years later, are a couple of videos of the re-built, well-travelled glider in flight. Calm evening in early autumn, a fine way to de-stress:
These videos were taken on my Nexus 4 mobile phone. I chucked the glider up, held my phone up and filmed. A very tricky exercise, but the results were ok. However, the launch and transition could not be captured.
Finally, video of a 12" hand launched glider of my own design:

After a time away from chucking gliders, my arm is now sore! It's good exercise.

No comments:

Google