Sunday, August 30, 2020

Flying wing maiden



Today I maidened this 900mm (35") span foam wing. It was easy to put together and flew beautifully. Basically, a maiden with no surprises or dramas whatsoever. All it needed was a bit of up trim (it always surprises me how high the elevons need to be centered on a wing). I have to experiment with CG - will probably move it a little forward first.  


The battery and receiver hatch is cut out of overhead projector slide (remember them?) covered with coloured parcel tape. All up weight ready to fly is 197g. It also has a tow hook for pinging it off high starts. The wire hook is attached to a ply bracing spar that is pushed into a slot in the wing. Here it is being glued in with white wood glue (pva resin type, which I find works well on foam). 


Details below of the hook and ply bracing spar. Kevlar thread bound on and sparingly smothered with superglue. Very strong. 

I'm wondering now whether to keep it as a glider, or add a pusher motor. It came with a geared brushed motor and huge looking prop. If I do put a motor on it, I'll probably go for a small brushless and 5mm dia shaft smaller prop (EP5030 should be ok, I reckon). 

I think I'll slope it first before deciding. I also have a 48" Genesis flying wing that also configured as a glider and it's great on the slope. 

No comments:

Google