Sunday, August 23, 2020

Pearl DLG, rudder-elevator discus launched glider from Impres, Ukraine

 This is one of a series of gliders that were produced by Impres of Ukraine. As far as I know, the company is defunct, but their models were jewels! Literally, named Pearl, Garnet, Ruby, etc. 

I have finally managed to kit out and maiden my Pearl R-E DLG. Here are some photos. Basically, the model is superb. With the 3 panel wing and R-E controls, it's not surprising that it feels a lot like the Gambler AG. However, the Pearl has a much flatter and floatier glide. The Pearl's 1.49m wing is beautifully made with lots of kevlar and carbon capping. Like a high tech free flight glider. In contrast, the Gambler has a thicker wing section 1.22m span, and a higher wing loading. Neither the Gambler or the Pearl will launch as high as modern composite DLGs.  


AUW ready to fly for my Pearl came out at 284g. Because there is not enough space in the pod, I found battery choice awkward. A 15g 120mAh NiMh pack gave me 25mins (better to be conservative and stop at around 18mins). A better alternative is a  Li-Fe 200mAh that weighs about the same.   





More build information is on RCGroups - here, including the "drama" on the maiden.  

I think it looks fantastic in the air. Looking forward to sloping it as well.  


No comments:

Google